Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Dodge Charger's "Man's Last Stand"

So just now I had my tv on as background noise while I was typing out some notes, and I can honestly say that I had been paying no attention to what was on. Randomly however, a commercial came on that caught my attention. Thank god for PVR, because I was able to rewind and see what it was that turned my head.

It was the Dodge Charger Super Bowl ad that I somehow missed a few weeks ago. This spot, by Wieden & Kennedy Portland (Is it just me or does it seem that a lot of talked-about ads are coming out of this agency?) is a string of "sacrifices" men have to make. It shows a series of 4 different men staring blankly into the camera as the voice of Michael C. Hall of Dexter names off these so called sacrifices, such as "I will get up and walk the dog at 6:30am. I will eat some fruit as part of my breakfast. I will shave. I will clean the sink after I shave. I will be at work by 8am. I will sit through 2 hour meetings. I will say yes when you want me to say yes." ...blahblahblah - woe is me, ending with, "And because I do this, I will drive the car I want to drive." Cue macho shots of car speeding down the highway. "Charger. Man's last stand."

Sure this ad really did catch my attention while a series of others didn't, but I can certainly say that it is not my favorite ad of 2010 and it really doesn't make me want a Charger. Sorry Wieden & Kennedy. I do love a lot of your stuff though.

No comments:

Post a Comment