Monday, June 7, 2010

Huggies "I've got chic in my pants"

Sexy music and women with windblown hair are present in this ad accompanying a total babe… literally.

This JWT New York ad for Huggies (limited edition) denim patterned diapers is pretty hilarious. An adorable baby boy strolls down the street to a song composed particularly for this ad (or so I’m assuming, considering the lyrics include phrases like “My diaper is full… full of chic” and “When it’s a number 2, I look like number 1”). He shocks people with his great style, checks himself out in the mirror, and eventually climbs into his sweet ride.

1 comment:

  1. I think this is an extremely problematic advert. I think it's normalizes hyper-masculinity as a natural/instinctual part of a boy's/man's experience. It is dripping with heteronormativity and the model in toe indicates a power structure around gender norms where the 2 year old male already holds power over the beautiful woman as he swaggers down the piazza. If this was a little girl strutting her stuff and attracting the male gaze there would be outrage ("she's a toddler and you're already sexualizing her?!") So this also tells us something about the discourse of childhood innocence being largely restricted to girls. What do you notice?

    ReplyDelete